University of Virginia
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.)
Medical College of Virginia at Virginia Commonwealth University
Master of Science (M.S.)
Alabama State University
Doctor in Physical Therapy (D.P.T.)
American Board of Physical Therapy Specialists: Neurological Certified Specialist (NCS): Board Certified Specialist in Neurologic Physical Therapy (License #14815, since March 19, 2008.)
Scholarship interests: Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
Technology Distractions in the Clinic and Classroom environments
Journal Articles- In Press
- Lorio, A, Huggins C., Leo S., Wheeler, J. Getting Smart to Navigate the Digital Divide: A Covert Operation to Investigate Smartphone Technology Behaviors and Perceptions in the Physical Therapy Clinic. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. Submitted April 22, 2016.
Journal articles- Published
- Lorio, A., Gore J., Warthen L., Housley S.N., Burgess E. (2016) Teaching Dementia Care to Physical Therapy Doctoral Students: A Multimodal Experiential Learning Approach. Gerontology and Geriatrics Education. DOI: 10.1080/02701960.2015.1115979 (refereed)
- Lorio, A., Florman, T., Gore J., Housley, S.N., Nelson, M. (2016) The Power of Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL): An Interdisciplinary Mobility Lab Experience. Journal of Nursing Education. Vol. 55 (2): 83-86. DOI: 10.3928/01484834-20160114-04 (refereed)
- Lorio, Anne. (2015) “Inspirations and Insights: Mary Lou,” Educational Gerontology, 0:1, 2015. ISSN: 0360-1277 print/1521-0472 online. (invited)
- Lorio, Anne K. “Technology Barriers in the University Classroom: The Laptop Factor,” accepted for presentation at the Teaching Professors Conference, June 2-4, 2017. National, Refereed.
- Huggins, C., Lorio, A. Diverted Attention in Clinical Practice: A National Survey That Examined Behaviors That Detract From Professional Excellence in Physical Therapy, Accepted for Poster Presentation for APTA NEXT Conference, June 2017. National. Refereed.
- "How clean is your S.O.A.P. note? A retrospective study on student and clinician perceptions and outcomes of student and clinician perceptions and outcomes of student documentation during clinical internships." AUTHORS:Carla Huggins(1); Anne Lorio(1); Mariah Hernandez(1); Alondra Scarbough(1) February 17, 2017. APTA Combined Sections Meeting. San Antonio, Tx. Poster presentation. Referreed. National.
- Conventional Interventions versus Vibration Therapy for Increasing Bone Architecture in Patients with Spinal Cord Injury: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Beriah B. Yisrael, SPT; James C. Connelly, SPT, Ethan G. Jackson, SPT, Anne K. Lorio, PT, DPT, NCS, February 18. 2017. APTA Combined Sections Meeting. San Antonio, Tx. Poster presentation. Referreed. National.
- Meta-Analysis: The Effect of Vibration Therapy on the Bone Structure of Patients with Spinal Cord Injury. Beriah B. Yisrael, SPT; James C. Connelly, SPT, Ethan G. Jackson, SPT, Anne K. Lorio, PT, DPT, NCS, Fall 2016 PTAG Insight, Chattanooga, TN Oct. 1, 2016. Poster presentation. Referreed. Regional.
- Mirror Therapy for Phantom Limb Pain: A Meta-Analysis. Marc Herbert, SPT, Coley Westbrook, SPT, Caroline Smith, SPT, Anne K. Lorio, PT, DPT, NCS. Fall 2016 PTAG Insight, Chattanooga, TN Oct. 1, 2016. Poster presentation, Refereed. Oct. 1, 2016.
- Lorio, A., Huggins, C., Leo, S., Wheeler, J., Tefertiller, C. “Get Smart? A Covert Operation to Investigate Smartphone and Technology Behaviors in the Classroom and Clinic.” February 18, 2016, American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Anaheim, Ca. Podium and Panel. National. Refereed.
- Lorio, A., Gore J., Housley, S.N. “The Power of Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL): An Inter-professional Mobility Lab Experience.” American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, February 18, 2016 Anaheim, Ca. Poster. National. Refereed.
- Dreyer, J., Shah, S., Lorio, A., Warren G. “Enhancing Outcomes for Patients Post-Stroke: A Meta-Analysis Comparing Aquatic and Land-Based Physical Therapy.” Physical Therapy Association of Georgia Fall Insight Conference, October 10, 2015. State. Refereed.
- Lorio, A. and Jones, W. “The Power of Video and the Death of PowerPoint: An Engaging Way for Students to Document a Geriatric- Focused Service Learning Project.” American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Indianapolis, In. February 5, 2015. Podium. National. Refereed.
- Lorio, A., Cayce, B., Gore, J., Belville, P. "8 Minutes of Awareness: Can a Single Experiential Learning Exercise Transform Understanding and Awareness of Dementia in a DPT curriculum?" February 5, 2015. American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting, Poster Presentation, Indianapolis, In. National. Refereed.
- Lorio, A., Gore, J. Beyond Books and Brains….Integrating Active Learning and iPad Technology into the Neuroanatomy Lab. Poster professional presentation for American Physical Therapy Association Combined Sections Meeting February 5, 2014. Las Vegas, NV. National. Refereed.
- Gore, J. and Lorio, A. Dissecting Instructional Innovation: Lessons Learned from a Neuroanatomy Lab. The Instructional Innovation Conference, Georgia State University, April 18, 2014. Atlanta, Ga. Podium. Local. Refereed.
Primary instructor/Course Coordinator:
PT 7810: PT Management of Neuromuscular Disorders II
PT 7820: PT Management of Neuromuscular Disorders III
PT 8725 PT Management of Neuromuscular Disorders IV
PT 8730 PT Management of Neuromuscular Disorders V
PT 8140 Health Promotion and Wellness
PT 7040 PT Interventions II (Wound Care)
PT 8670: Lifespan IV: Geriatrics
PT 8931 Special Topics elective: Specialty practice areas: Wound care
PT 8931 Special Topics: Physical Therapy and Community Practice in Nicaragua
PT 7710 PT Management of Neuromuscular Disorders I (Anatomy and Neurophysiology)
PT 7030 PT Interventions I
American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)- 2001 to present
American Physical Therapy Association- Neurology Section- 2008 to present
American Physical Therapy Association- Education Section- 2010 to present
American Physical Therapy Association- Academy of Geriatric Physical Therapy- 2011 to present
Physical Therapy Association of Georgia (PTAG)- 2001 to present
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Recipient Lewis School Teaching Excellence Award. Spring 2017
- Co-author for the award application for the 2017 Regents’ Teaching Excellence Award for Departments and Programs (the GSU Department of Physical Therapy won the award) which is awarded to one academic unit within Georgia.
- Award Nominee, Award for Excellence in Neurologic Education, American Physical Therapy Association Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy, Fall 2016.
- Recipient, Carl V. Patton President’s Award for Outstanding University Program 2016. GSU Physical Therapy Community Practice in Nicaragua: An Intensive Study Abroad Program to Explore Cultural Perspectives and Problem- Solving in a Rural Coffee Growing Community, February 2016.
- Award Nominee, Dorothy E. Baethke-Eleanor J. Carlin Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching, The American Physical Therapy Association, nominated for 2016 Award.
- Award Nominee, the Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions Award for Excellence in Graduate Teaching, 2014-15.
- Grant Recipient, Georgia State University Digital Fellowship. Center for Instructional Innovation Georgia State University, 2014.